Saturday, April 14, 2007

SNL's Parody of Oprah and The Secret


A few weeks ago Saturday Night Live parodied Oprah, Rhonda Byrne and The Secret.

I heard about the parody when it originally aired, but I never saw it until today (what can I say, I guess I'm a little behind the times).

If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend that you do. Not only is it hilarious, but is also highlights the absurdity and silliness of The Secret as well as Oprah's obsession with it.

There's a part where Oprah and Rhonda interview a citizen in Darfur. This part is especially satirical since Rhonda Byrne claims the citizens of Darfur are attracting the atrocities and genocide being perpetrated on them.

An article in the Washington Post put it this way:

"One recent weekend, [Saturday Night Live] featured a skit about a man in Darfur being interviewed by Winfrey and [Secret author Rhonda] Byrne. They scolded him when he lamented that his people were starving, saying it was all the result of his lousy attitude. That was played for laughs, but later that week I watched Bob Proctor, author of "You Were Born Rich" and one of the "gurus" Byrne quotes most often, being asked on "Nightline" whether the starving children of Darfur had "manifested" -- that is, visualized -- their own misery. In utter seriousness, he replied, "I think the country probably has."

Here's a link to the video:


SNL's Parody of The Secret


Yes, it's a parody, but it speaks volumes about The Secret's foolishness (and stupidity).

I was hoping to get JibJab to parody The Secret (hopefully they'll still do it), but I think SNL did a great job.

-----------

"If drudgery is not found somewhere in a book or course, it isn't worth reading. Of all great works nine tenths must be drudgery." -- Russell Conwell

Calista McKnight
http://www.thesecretlie.com/

5 comments:

Cosmic Connie said...

Hey, Calista! I finally was able to view the SNL parody too, so you're not the only one who's a bit behind the times. It took forever to download -- probably because of the number of hits on the site -- but it was worth the wait.

And I totally agree with what you've been saying; JibJab needs to do "The Secret." Hell, I'll even write the song. I just can't do the animation part (yet). But maybe that's the next thing I'll teach myself to do...

Calista McKnight said...

Hi Connie,

When I heard that SNL parodied The Secret, I had no idea how really biting it was.

Apparently, a few others haven't seen it either, since the SNL link on this post has been the #1 outclick since this past Saturday.

I think you'd be great at coming up with a song for another Secret parody. I'll even bet you could do a fine (and scathingly comical) animation as well.

Anonymous said...

http://www.ascdeaf.com/blog/?p=308

even deaf people complain about snake oil

Dee said...

Hi there,
Just wanted to inform you that I have featured your blog on mine at http://blogozine.blogspot.com

-Zach- said...

Since you enabled moderation, which I have also done on my site to keep the ridiculous people away, I would just like to share my newest post with you from my site. It's called "Shhh... Don't let "The Secret" out..." and it's on my site "A Logical Illation". Please check it out when you get the chance. And if you like it, link me up, I sure would appreciate it.
http://alogicalillation.blogspot.com
-Zach